Re: Then why do we love Linux? (was: Re: [SLUG] Record uptime for Linux)

From: btt@nethouse.com
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 09:56:12 EDT

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 01:27:52AM -0400, Greg Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Greg Schmidt wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 5 May 2002, Russell Hires wrote:
> >
> > > What does Linux need to do better to get to be as good as *BSD?
> > >
> > > Russell
> > >
> I forgot to mention, for Linux in the Tampa, FL area there is this thing
> called SLUG. It's really cool. They have a mailing list where you can
> get expert help. They have a nice website with a very informative FAQ and
> lots of useful links. They have a handful of meetings each month all over
> the area and look like they're soon adding another in St. Pete.

> Orlando has a BSD group. Their website http://bugo.zepa.net isn't very
> impressive, but I could subscribe to their mailing list and retrieve some
> archived messages. They have 407 messages. The most recent was some spam
> on April 16. Message 406 was dated April 3 and looks like someone
> actually trying to help someone else.

A long while back, they were trying to get a meeting together, but
there was no venue or something. I offered to truck folks from Tampa
to one (provided I could make it)... I think one person was
interested.

Last year (June), while on vacation in NYC, I came across the Southern
Connecticut Open Source Users Group. They support BSD and Linux. I
thought that was a great idea and was going to try to make a meeting,
but never made it (NYC had other plans for me :) ).

http://www.scosug.org/