Re: [SLUG] Cheap Linux boxes by the dozen?

From: bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 15:41:41 EDT

Ben ,
I am sure TCWO aka Thompsons should be able to do these quick and they would
have a 2 to 3 year warranty .
Next you can get 10/100 Smc nics that work fine with Linux at best Buys for
12.99 to 15.99 each !
If you can pick up the PC's then you save shipping if they go bad take them
in and they fix or exchange it for another box!

Thompsons also has this deal Celeron 1Ghz Barebone Kit
US$ 382.00

1 Year Warranty
Value-packed build it yourself kit includes the following:
TCWO TRÜ Celeron/PIII Value Socket370 250W barebone system.
Intel Celeron 1.0GHz CPU
TCWO SuperCool SocketA heatsink/cooling fan combo
128MB SDRAM
20GB 5400RPM hard drive
Intel/Ambient 56k v.90 PCI voice/fax modem

Problem I see with Wal Mart who would fix them and who would give you some
kind of warranty and how long to ship back and foward shipping charges each
time and RMA times ?

Stick to a local shop!
If you were going to buy a system name brand then go with a Dell that they
advertise

Dell get you parts to you door in 24 hrs if there is a problem or has some
one out to you either way.
I have used them for years and is the only Name brand I would sugguest as
for HP not that great of desktops for reliability and again
parts and service a pain in the arse!

Intel® Celeron® processor at 1.3GHz
128MB Shared SDRAM at 100MHz
17 in (15.9 in v.i.s.,.27dp) E771 Monitor
 New Harman Kardon® HK-206 Speakers
 $649
 also 48x cd rom
etc and they would take 1 to 2 weeks to get it out to you !