Re: [SLUG] Re: Then why do we love Linux?

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 22:54:24 EDT

On Monday 06 May 2002 07:47, you wrote:
> Hey Bill, about which BSD are you talking? Linux is good for desk top
> and playing around with KDE but when it comes to serious work get out
> the BSD. (FreeBSD for network servers and OpenBSD for security, i.e
> Firewalls).
>
> Unix version loyalty is fine but don't disillusion yourself about
> capability.
>
> Timothy

I am running http, smtp, ftp and ntp in addition to the normal mix of desktop
apps. I am at the 7,500 hits a day mark with the web server, most of which
are 320 x 200 graphics. This is well within my capacity. I strongly suspect I
will be into a much larger pipe before I seriously challenge even the single
CPU I am using.

Open BSD may be more secure out of the box, but what sysad runs an "out of
the box" system? I know I don't ... and I am strictly small-time. Running an
"out of the box" system is the sort of behavior I expect of a Microsoftie ...
not a Unix admin.

Since that is an illusory advantage, perhaps you would care to elaborate on
the real advantages of Free / Open BSD over a current Linux kernel.

No illusions here.

Bill

--
  9:43pm  up 76 days, 17:59,  3 users,  load average: 2.07, 2.11, 2.09
"The more I know about Microsoft, the better I like Linux."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.