[SLUG] Suse Linux 8.0 installation issue - Help!

From: William Calderwood (k1ct@oasis.net)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 19:31:59 EDT

All -

    I yielded to the allure of running the KDE 3.0 desktop and got a copy of
Suse Linux 8.0 to install and check it out. Unfortunately I'm no closer to
realizing that goal than I was a week before buying the Suse distro. Maybe I
should have waited for RH7.3...

   When attempting to install my system crashes and nothing I've been able to
do has gotten around the problem. I called Suse Tech support and ran a
memory test and finally they suggested I trade in my copy and try a second -
same problem on the new copy. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced
this same problem and might have a suggestion on how to overcome it?

                                        w/r Bill Calderwood

Error message: (come up just as the kernal is finishing uncompressing)

        Uncompressing Linux . . .
        crc error
        - - System halted

Trouble shooting attempted:

Thinking I might have a memory problem, I disabled the L1 and L2 memory
caches (individually and both) from the BIOS. I Removed the system ram and
ran with each bank individually (32MB and 128MB). I ran the Suse memory
test for over eight complete passes with no errors. I turned plug and play
on and off. None of these changes made any difference in regards to the
problem.

Observation: System installs and runs the following operating systems
without problem: Red Hat 7.2, eSmith (RH7.1), FreeBSD 4.4, Pico BSD, Small
Linux, Win 3.1/Dos 6.2, and Win 95.

System: Acer Aspire Model 5200SR, Acer BIOS 2.1, P-55-200, 160MB memory,
ATI Mach 64 3D video (running 640x480), 16X CD-Rom, no audio, USR Courier
V.90 internal modem (com2), 101 key keyboard, PS/2 mouse, and it has a PCI
100baseT eth0 card.