Re: [SLUG] Home Business Idea

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sat May 11 2002 - 09:22:52 EDT

>I would think that all of the documents being requested from the Courthouse are
>public record. Any confidential documents should never leave the lawyers hands
>(never given to the Courthouse).

Yes. And there are already plenty of research services that do nothing
but pore through public records. The trick here is getting the
technology set up and getting court permission to bring it all into the
courthouse. Maryland does not allow outsiders to bring computers or
cameras into courthouses at all. I don't know the laws here.

It would not be hard to make a small cart with a laptop, scanners (both
flatbed and handheld), and a cellular phone with a high-gain antenna
(use a car mount; they still sell them). You'd have 14.4K uploads, which
is faster than fax. (If you need more bandwidth, get two phones.) Run
the whole thing on a pair of sealed 12 V batteries so you can go all
day, and you'd be just fine.

I thought about doing something like this a few years ago. Another,
similar thought I never implemented was what I called "temp in a box."
My idea was that instead of just supplying a body, you'd supply an
office-skilled person equipped with a computer, scanner, and printer.
Give them electricity, a table, and a chair, and they could go right to
work, using software they already knew so there would be no learning
curve. This is not a Linux-specific idea; in fact, Windows would almost
certainly be necessary most of the time. But it would be an excellent
service to offer, and I think it would have high profit potential if
marketed correctly.

- Robin