[SLUG] Verizon/GTE DSL

From: Chris (chornbro@gte.net)
Date: Sun May 12 2002 - 08:15:52 EDT

I have been trying to set up RedHat 7.2 with my Verizon/GTE DSL account. I
was under the impression that Verizon uses pppoe, so I tried to set it up
with rp-pppoe. Using adsl-setup I entered what I thought was the correct
information. When I restarted my network connection while monitoring
/var/log/messages the ppp conection would terminate with a log message
starting- LCP: timeout sending Config requests. Maybe my username is wrong,
I am not sure what to put there.

I decided to get rid of all the pppoe stuff and try to just enable dhcp in
my ifcfg-eth0 file. I rebooted and everthing seems to work. The
resolv.conf file got written with the correct name server infomation, it
asigned an IP address and name, and I can surf the web.

Am I missing somthing, why is this working with just dhcp? I thought I
needed a pppoe. Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks