Re: [SLUG] Jobs/FAQs

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 14:12:00 EDT

On Sun, 2002-05-12 at 23:10, Justin Keyes wrote:
> Also, experience is very necessary and good, but it is _enhanced_
> via formal education. The most knowledgeable (concerning technology
> and computers) person I know is very experienced and very educated.
> Experience is often more informative than a text book, but the combination
> of the two is far superior; any experienced person who shuns formal
> education is stubbornly disadvantaged.

I agree with your statements about formal education. I received a formal
education at an accredited college. I also feel very strongly about
utilizing training to enhance my skillset.
I still don't think cramming for a multiple choice test denotes any true
technical knowledge. Maybe, my many experiences with "certified"
individuals have skewed my view. I believe too many individuals tout
their certifications as compensation for their lack of knowhow or
experience. I concede that this is not always the case.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator