Re: [SLUG] ftp problem

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 13:50:31 EDT

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 12:13, Gypsy wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem I'm hoping someone on this list can help me with. Ever since my company installed a Windows 2000 server we can no longer connect via ftp to our Cobolt Raq3 web server from within the company. If I try to connect from home I have no problem, if I try to connect from work it times out. The web server runs apache (not sure which version) on Red Hat 5.?.
>
> This was not a problem when we were running Windows NT 4.0 w/service pack 6 and nothing else has changed. All of the settings for the web server and the firewall are the same.
>
> Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I'm fairly new to linux and have tried everything I can think of on the Windows side. Don't worry about giving a technical answer, I may be new to linux but I've been working with computers since before Windows existed. Give me a command line over point and click any day. :)

One quick note: Apache is a web server as you correctly stated, not an
ftp daemon.
Obviously the problem is not with the Linux Server since ftp-ing worked
fine from the NT 4 (cough) server, but instead is a problem with the
Windows 2000 (did I cough, yet?) server. With all things being equal,
only the Windows (belch) server OS has changed. Maybe if you installed
Linux to replace the Windows 2000 (ugh) server, the problem would go
away. :-)
I would suggest running the Windows ftp client in full debug mode -- I
believe typing "debug" in the Win2K ftp command line (before attempting
a connection) does the trick...

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator