Re: [SLUG] Suspicions confirmed!

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 09:25:13 EDT

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 18:55, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 09:00:26AM -0400, Timothy wrote:
>
> > Steven;
> >
> > I know I'm taking the risk of being accused of trolling BUT IMHO Red
> > Hat has gone the way of Mickey$oft. First, the emphasis on GUI's and
> > the denigration of the command line configuration.
>
> Welcome to the world of computers in the 21st century. Red Hat's not
> alone in this. Even Debian is using a GUI install these days, from what
> I hear.

Untrue. Debian's install is still as unappealing as ever -- it's a
curses like menu install, a far cry from Red Hat, Mandrake or Suse's GUI
installers.
Most people are dissuaded from Debian for this reason alone -- the
installer lacks any autodetect features like other Linux distros and
assumes the user has a decent knowledge of the system's hardware when
installing. Too bad, since apt-get, dpkg, and dselect are by far (IMHO)
the best package management tools for any of the available distros.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator