Re: [SLUG] Slightly OT

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 18:28:38 EDT

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 07:11:47AM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> You don't need to save everything in /usr, since that holds docs, binaries,
> and such, that are version and distro specific. But save it anyway, if you
> have the space. :-) Somebody please let me know how accurate this is!

The stuff in /usr/local should be saved. This is typically stuff you've
installed after your distro. I usually write scripts when I don't want
to remember things like the command line parameters for the mount
command. Those go in /usr/local/bin. But other than the /usr/local
hierarchy, no, you don't need to save the rest of /usr.

Paul