RE: [SLUG] DNS Server -- RR POP3/SSL

From: Todd Robinson (mtrob@penguix.com)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 13:29:47 EDT

Yes, they scan all the standard ports. If you check your terms of
service, you aren't supposed to run _any_ servers. I've talked to
several of the technicians and admins. The real problem for them is a
neighborhood with 10-15 kids and a quake server. Suddenly everyone else
in the neighborhood has a cable modem that is slower than a dialup.
Also, it is a lever for them to move you up to business class service
(more $). If they want to be difficult, and you let it slip, they'll
claim the fact that you send/receive e-mail to your office indicates
that you are using the service for business and should be paying
business class fees.

I've gone round and round with them on these issues and came within a
keystroke of loosing my service. I was only saved because of a friend
in management kept that from happening. He explained to me at one time
that asside from the fact that they have your signature/agreement to
these stipulations, that they are also immune from certain legal tactics
involving fair use of the Internet because they are not an Internet
Services Provider, that RoadRunner is an enhanced cable service, and as
such they can do with it as they wish.

He did indicate that they don't scan all the ports, just the common
ones. That if you need, say, ftp access, set it up on a high port,
don't use it a lot and everthing should be fine.

Todd

PS in case no one has mentioned it, routers or firewalls are forbidden
too..... And if you don't have one, your nuts.