Re: [SLUG] cleaning a hard drive of GRUB

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 00:00:30 EDT

On Thursday 23 May 2002 03:11, you wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002, Joe wrote:
> > Oh another effective way is to go into debug from the dos command prompt
> > and enter this series of commands:
> > -F 220 L1000 0 (ENTER)
> > -A CS: 100 (ENTER)
> > MOV AX,301 (ENTER)
> > MOV BX,200 (ENTER)
> > MOV CX,1 (ENTER)
> > MOV DX,80 (ENTER) <---"80" for hd1, "81" for hd2 >
> > INT 13 (ENTER)
> > INT 20 (ENTER)
> > (ENTER) <-------BLANK LINE "VERY IMPORTANT" >
> > -G (ENTER)
> >
> > Reboot after doing this and reinstall NT you will no longer have grub.
> >
> > -Joe

> But then Joe. 10 lines of debug commands!?!?! With a few useful comments
> tossed in! Oh wow. It's not Linux, but I think it might win the award
> for geekiest solution.

I am incredibly grateful to Joe for reminding me of debug. Haven't used that
since an old Maxtor MFM needed a good whack.

I was giving advice to a W2K user the other day and was forced to tell him to
use "ed" to look at a file because I had forgetten the name of edlin. He
couldn't find ed but did come up with "edit". Thanks ... next time he asks me
a stupid MS-only question, he gets to solve it with debug. :-)

Bill

--
 11:56pm  up 93 days, 20:12,  5 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.