Re: [SLUG] windows emulators

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 11:07:51 EDT

William R Coulter wrote:

> Carson said that xwin32 and wine are window emulators under UNIX or Linux.
> How well do they work and are there others?
>
> This is what I am trying to do. I want to switch to Linux but I still play
> games. I know that I can switch MS office for Star Office and Windows 2000
> for Red Hat 7.3. That is the majority of what I need. I still need an mp3
> riper, a DVD player software, and a way to play games. If I can have a very
> stable emulator for windows I can install and play my games under windows in
> Linux.
>
> William

There is a nice MP3 ripper called "Krabber". It uses external packages to do
most of the work (e.g. Lame for encoding, CDDA2WAV for the ripping of CD to WAV,
etc.) Krabber's real strength is its interface; pop-in a CD and 3 quick clicks
later, it is reading and encoding with no further interaction.

Krabber does a nice job of CDDB lookups and file naming (flexible). I use the
default file naming scheme whereby Krabber creates a directory with the artist's
name, a directory with the album name, and inside that directory, an MP3 file
for each song (the filename can start with the number or not). So I have MP3
files like:

/home/ronan/mp3/Jethro\ Tull/Crest\ of\ the\ Knave/04.\ Said\ She\ Was\ A\
Dancer.mp3
/home/ronan/mp3/Jethro\ Tull/Original\ Masters/11.\ Minstrel\ in\ the\
Gallery.mp3
/home/ronan/mp3/Fiona\ Apple/When\ The\ Pawn.../05.\ Paper\ Bag.mp3

I don't do DVDs or Windows games under Linux, so someone else'll have to address
those. I think Norbert Cartegena does Windows games under Linux; if he doesn't
see this thread then maybe you could email him directly.

--
--ronan