RE: Re: [SLUG] Erasing backup tapes?

From: Todd Robinson (mtrob@penguix.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 22:31:53 EDT

I could give them to my wife and she could set them next to the MRI
magnet at work. That's a 1 Tesla magnet. At least a couple hundred
thousand times more powerful than an electric bulk eraser. It would at
least be interesting to see what was left. My cousin lays carpet, he
did a job down at Sarasota Memorial in their MRI room. Glue down type
carpet, use a 50 lb. iron roller to roll it out. No one warned him
about not taking anything magnetic in, he was laying carpet after all.
Got the roller about 10 ft from the magnet and he couldn't hold it back.
Rolled right into the outer casing. Put a little dent in it, no damage.
Had to wait 3 weeks for the next maintenance cycle when they turned it
off to get the roller back.

Todd