Re: [SLUG] Erasing backup tapes?

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 07:11:34 EDT

And if they had a steel plate on them, it would be bent to the shape of
the casing, cartridge would not be insertable in a tape drive. Just so
the person claiming or disposing of them does not have a PDA in his\her
pocket...:)

 From what you said earlier, being out in the boonies south of Punta
Gorda, I did not immediately realize you were talking about the field
generator for a magnetic resonance imager. Yes, in spades that would do
it (at least 100 times over what was needed).

John.

Todd Robinson wrote:

>I could give them to my wife and she could set them next to the MRI
>magnet at work. That's a 1 Tesla magnet. At least a couple hundred
>thousand times more powerful than an electric bulk eraser. It would at
>least be interesting to see what was left. My cousin lays carpet, he
>did a job down at Sarasota Memorial in their MRI room. Glue down type
>carpet, use a 50 lb. iron roller to roll it out. No one warned him
>about not taking anything magnetic in, he was laying carpet after all.
>Got the roller about 10 ft from the magnet and he couldn't hold it back.
>Rolled right into the outer casing. Put a little dent in it, no damage.
>Had to wait 3 weeks for the next maintenance cycle when they turned it
>off to get the roller back.
>
>Todd

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."