Re: [SLUG] Trouble with Samba configuration

From: Mark Saunders (msaunder@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 23:39:19 EDT

Hey

Thanks to everyone for the repsponse. It's cool to start an interesting
thread and get all the penguin people talking! Samba is a good thing in
that it extends our scope but it is treated with some antagonism by the
other side of computerdom. I just want it to work and be transparent and
be able to move stuff around by little home network. I am determined to
fix it in place rather than the using Windows way which is to start
removing things and re-installing them, only to eventually find you have
to re-install Windows. Some fun. I should be able to fix this.

To answer several replies I am not using the Linux box as a wins server.
Everything is tcp/ip and the windows boxes do not have netbios enabled
(Ms's netbios protocol). I am using host files for the names and fixed
192.168.1.1... addresses on a home private network.

The l-box server name is being broadcast and is being picked up by
Windows Network neighborhood but when I try to access that share name
Windows reports it cannot find it. The samba log shows no sign of a
connection attempt. I am getting computer or share not found rather than
access denied. I think I could probably logic that one out.

I can access the windows box from smbclient - works every time.

I cannot ' Net Use' form the Windos box - I get the "share not found'

I have tried querying the netbios name and the Ip address with the same
result.

Here is my smb.conf. sandor is my Linux box's network name.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/04/30 21:00:08

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = SAUNDERSHOUSE
    encrypt passwords = yes
        server string = Sandors Linux Box
        netbios name = sandor
        preserve case = no
        log level = 100

[homes]
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes

[sandor]
    comment = Sandor's Share
    path = /home/sandor
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

[kelly]
    comment = Kelly's share
    path = /home/kelly
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

I am offering up two shares on the Linux box.

If I can't get it to to Samba I'll probably bring the pair of boxes
over to the Tampa meeting next week. It could be educational.

Thanks again for the help.

Mark Saunders
msaunder@tampabay.rr.com