Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 8.2 and Evolution

From: Ronald KA4INM Youvan (ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 04:47:08 EDT

<
IMHO, any piece of software that requires a Linux power down doesn't work.
Can you get out to a different terminal (alt+Fn) to just kill it?

<

  Nope, tried that, the keyboard is dead.

  The keyboard controller (I assume part of the kernel is the
operating code) gets locked up easily, two ways that I know of
get it around these, by re-booting, a kernel `compile option'
or a joystick option. I sure would like a way to re-start/reset
said keyboard controller or it's driver with the joystick,
rather than causing a reboot. (I would settle for a
watch dog timer and a cron program, if the resets were
harmless in the absence of a lockup.)
  A reboot avoids the file system check that follows a hot shutdown.

   Every LINUX picture viewer I have will lock up the keyboard
controller chip/software if I hit several incorrect keyboard
keys as I change from a picture image display back to the
text mode.
(some should be just a return, others are escape, getting them
confused locks things up here, always has)
   I think the reason the keyboard gets locked up is LINUX
programmers seem not to know how to write a proper parser.
I am not a programmer! If you throw away all wrong entry's
the wrong key strokes can't hurt you.

   (I said nothing about the X system, most lockups in X seem

to be cured by an CTL+ALT+Backspace)

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm