Re: [SLUG] Mandrake 8.2 and Evolution

From: John Danielson, II (jdii1215@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 09:24:16 EDT

Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> <
> IMHO, any piece of software that requires a Linux power down doesn't
> work.
> Can you get out to a different terminal (alt+Fn) to just kill it?
> >
> <
>
> Nope, tried that, the keyboard is dead.
>

> The keyboard controller (I assume part of the kernel is the
> operating code) gets locked up easily, two ways that I know of
> get it around these, by re-booting, a kernel `compile option'
> or a joystick option. I sure would like a way to re-start/reset
> said keyboard controller or it's driver with the joystick,
> rather than causing a reboot. (I would settle for a
> watch dog timer and a cron program, if the resets were
> harmless in the absence of a lockup.)
> A reboot avoids the file system check that follows a hot shutdown.
>
> Every LINUX picture viewer I have will lock up the keyboard
> controller chip/software if I hit several incorrect keyboard
> keys as I change from a picture image display back to the
> text mode.
> (some should be just a return, others are escape, getting them
> confused locks things up here, always has)
> I think the reason the keyboard gets locked up is LINUX
> programmers seem not to know how to write a proper parser.
> I am not a programmer! If you throw away all wrong entry's
> the wrong key strokes can't hurt you.
>
> (I said nothing about the X system, most lockups in X seem
> to be cured by an CTL+ALT+Backspace)
>
> 73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
> 100% LINUX, since July, 1997 SENT Time and Date are UTC
> Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm

My system locks with a "dead keys" on keyboard, but not with a "dead
keys" off keyboard. I have a (please don't laugh) $10.78 Memorex
spill-proof (circuit city) that works better than the Microsoft Natural
as a 104 key no-dead-keys keyboard. Function keys work regardless,
Windows keys do NOT (and that might have been the rub, kept bumping them
by mistake when wanted CTRL). Some programs do not get along with
programmable function keys, either (which this cheapo does NOT have).
Decent key travel, clicky for those who like that. Replacable at the price.

John.

Registered Linux User #276212, Machine #158988
"Use what works best for your needs, at minimum total cost of ownership."