Re: [SLUG] Log File Viewer

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 03:12:39 EDT

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 02:12:03AM -0400, Bill wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for a log file viewer?

Sure! It's called "less".

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

The best source I know of for stuff like this is a search on freshmeat.
While I don't know of anything along this line personally, a search for
"log file viewer" on freshmeat turned up one promising title: KWatch.
Unfortunately, it looks like it just tails the logs; it doesn't appear
to actually flag oddities. A search for "system log file" turns up 142
you want.

However, if you're going to operate web-facing services, you might want
to consider learning how to read the logs in their raw state. Nothing
substitutes for actually knowing how this stuff works. And naturally,
there's help on this list for stuff you don't understand.

Paul