Re: [SLUG] Log File Viewer

From: Bill (bill@organic-earth.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 17:01:10 EDT

On Sunday 16 June 2002 03:12, you wrote:

> However, if you're going to operate web-facing services, you might want
> to consider learning how to read the logs in their raw state. Nothing
> substitutes for actually knowing how this stuff works. And naturally,
> there's help on this list for stuff you don't understand.
>
> Paul

I agree.

I can use cat, less, head, tail, sort, grep | and redirection in a
rudimentary fashion but I am not a regexp pro and do not always know what it
is I should even be looking for.

I do this as an adjunct to workdays which are already stretching out to
16+ hrs, six days a week (but <12 hours on Sunday). The shear volume of the
logs makes for tough reading already ... I can only shudder when I think what
they might turn into if the site itself becomes a success.

I'll follow up on the Freshmeat suggestion ... it's my second home already
:-) ... but I thought I would ask among the pros before I started installing
software willy-nilly.

Bill

--
  4:28pm  up 117 days, 12:37,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

"I'm thinking of going back to Windows; in Linux, none of the viruses seem to work."

http://organic-earth.com Organic urban gardening. With photos.