Re: [SLUG] School Project - Update - (RED HAT FANS...PLEASE READ THIS!!!!)

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 23:00:42 EDT

The license which Linux is written under says that you either include source
code or let them know where they can get it, that you don't make changes
without acknowledging the author.

Redhat does not want you representing yourself as an RH representative, or
affiliate without having an agreement to do so. I.e. protecting their name.

The GNU License says in part:

" 1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;
and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License
along with the Program.

"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

Myself I was so taken back by the statement that I thought wow this changes
things, until I realized that they CANNOT implement Linux so that it violates
the GNU license. Just don't walk around saying you are part of RH.

--

Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.