Re: [SLUG] This is for David as he chose to throw TNT onto the gas on the fire

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 15:47:31 EDT

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 15:37, David Meyer wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Who then can we ask directly this question:
>
> "If a customer orders a white box from me, and specifically asks for Red Hat
> Linux, not a stripped down version, but a real copy, and I go to the store
> and purchase a copy or get one through my distributor, is that legal?"
>

> That is the question here. Again, I have customers who MUST have real Red
> Hat Linux to be supported on other products. Chad, the guy who I spoke to
> that started this told me that I could not even to do that. And it was that
> very issue which I got upset about. It made no sense to me, but that is
> exactly what I was told.

Yes, this was the root question that started everything.

As an addendum: if it is NOT possible for someone to sell a full retail
boxed RedHat pre-installed on a PC, is it possible for the customer to
purchase their own copies of RedHat and have someone else install it for
them? If not, what's the difference?

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com