Re: [SLUG] This is for David as he chose to throw TNT onto the gas on the fire

From: Martin C. Messer (marty@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 16:33:13 EDT

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 15:37, David Meyer wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Who then can we ask directly this question:
>
> "If a customer orders a white box from me, and specifically asks for Red Hat
> Linux, not a stripped down version, but a real copy, and I go to the store
> and purchase a copy or get one through my distributor, is that legal?"

David,

Under my reading of our trademark guidelines, if you purchase a Red Hat
Linux box set in any way or manner, you can transfer that box set to
another person as long as you haven't registered for support or RHN
access using the registration number included in that box set.

So it sounds like you are good to go in this scenario, since you are in
fact pre-installing Red Hat Linux (not just the OS part) and passing on
the support and RHN service to your customer. This is exactly one of the
examples outlined in the trademark guidelines:

"You may resell the boxed version of your software that you purchased
from Red Hat so long as you sell the original discs and documentation
included with the boxed version. However, if you have registered the
product with Red Hat for purposes of obtaining support services, you may
not transfer your right in those support services, and you must advise
the purchaser that they are not receiving support services."

http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/page6.html

> That is the question here. Again, I have customers who MUST have real Red
> Hat Linux to be supported on other products. Chad, the guy who I spoke to
> that started this told me that I could not even to do that. And it was that
> very issue which I got upset about. It made no sense to me, but that is
> exactly what I was told.
>
> If you could help answer that question, I'd be most grateful because I am
> quite tired of people labelling me with all sorts of titles. If I was given
> incorrect information, PLEASE post it here. If indeed I am unable to
> pre-load a purchased set of Red Hat Lilnux CD's, then please post that here.

I must defend Dave's frustration here. Red Hat is not always the easiest
company to deal with (obvious, I know), but it is not for lack of
competence I assure you. We tend to change approaches on a dime, and
during these shifts in direction there are gaps. Eventually we
straighten up again, just in time for the next shift.

--
Martin C. Messer   | marty@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.      | Information Systems & Technologies