Re: [SLUG] Florida (?Tampa?) Power-outage occurance..

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 18:56:44 EDT

On Wednesday 26 June 2002 07:55, Marc W. wrote:
> > Bill
> > --
> > 11:21pm up 5:19, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.02
> >
> > (Four hr power outage beats 1 hr UPS.)
>
> What is the DEAL with the power outages around here?? I went for two
> whole years in Germany without one single power outage -- I've lived
> here for a little over three weeks and there have already been two, one
> that lasted for at least 5 hours. Are the power co. techs that
> incompetent or is the infrastructure that weak? I'd think that they
> would have found some way to protect the system from mother nature by
> now...

Yeah it gets funny. I had FL Power (which has now been absorbed by GA Power)
come over to my office and do some work. So he told me that if I want good
power I had to buy these surge protectors. Sounds like racketeering to me.

In LA I had an office in a downtown highrise. The power there was so good that
when it went for two days I had some power sensitive equipment that did not
crash. Even though that power had to power the whole building. Now that's
good backup power!

--

Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.