Re: [SLUG] Domain Registration

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 11:09:57 EDT

> The best way I know of to set up a "trick" address is to buy a domain
> and get it hosted somewhere. Set up your main email address there (as
> low as $7/month in some cases). Then set up the account so that anything
> that's not a valid user under that domain forwards to you. For example,
> my email address is paulf@quillandmouse.com. There are two other email
> accounts under that domain: nancyf and staff. If I give someone the
> email address bogus@quillandmouse.com, and they email something to it,
> it will forward to me. But I'll be able to see that the To: was not to
> my actual email address. For registrations, you could do something like
> registrations@rhires.com.
>
> Paul

There is an easier way. Search on Google for "Disposable Email
Address". There are providers who will sell you (and I think some give
you for free) DEAs, which forward to your regular account. This is
being advocated as a way of avoiding spam. You can establish a DEA,
send and recieve the necessary confirmations (domain registration,
Amazon purchases, etc). and then tell the DEA server to destroy the DEA
so that you will not receive the cascade of spam that follows 2-3 days
after your official business is completed! I haven't tried is yet, but
it looks neat.

--ronan