Re: [SLUG] Domain Registration

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 02:21:04 EDT

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 20:52, Smitty wrote:
> SpamAssassin does an excellent job of filtering all but the most "ultralight"
> spam. I use it as a client with kmail along with the kmail filters for the
> ultralight spam. The url is http://www.spamassassin.org
> Mailscanner requires commercial (non-open source) virus scanners to work in
> that application. Rather than heuristics, which SpamAssassin uses, it checks
> databases for open relays and none spammers.
> Smitty

Agreed, Mailscanner is best implemented with commercial virus scanners
-- fprot, McAfee, sophos, etc. But theses scanners, albeit enhancements,
are not mandatory to run either.
Spamassassin uses a point system based on a number of factors to
determine whether or not a particular e-mail is SPAM. Thresholds can be
set on an configurable point scale; inclusive in the mail headers is a
Spamassassin report which assigns points to determine which items are
SPAM and which are not.
Configuring and fine tuning Spamassassin can take some patience, but the
end result is really worth it.

--
Matt