Re: [SLUG] Gentoo

From: btt@nethouse.com
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 05:30:28 EDT

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 09:34:40PM -0400, Jason Pratt wrote:
> Has anyone given Gentoo a go and succeeded? I had a go at it and
> couldn't get it to boot. I took an extra machine at work and went
> thru the instructions on the Gentoo site and all was well got to
> Grub and it wouldn't load the kernel. Of course, my boss wanted 2k
> on it so we could use it as a FedEx station and that blew my chance
> of working any more on it. But has anyone tried this beast? I've
> heard nothing but good things about it.

I like it just about everything about it. Every now and then,
something will break for no reason... like an 'emerge clean' will
inadvertenly clean out a necessary header file, but that is usually
easily fixed by re-emerging the corrupted component.

As for the booting, the machine it is running on now has one of those
Promise semi-hardware RAID cards in it, so I was trying to get it to
boot the mirrored raid system. That was a pain... I think I ended up
installing lilo (while in the install chroot) and using that instead
of grub.