Re: [SLUG] Gentoo

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 11:21:32 EDT

On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 21:34, Jason Pratt wrote:
> Has anyone given Gentoo a go and succeeded? I had a go at it and couldn't get
> it to boot. I took an extra machine at work and went thru the instructions on
> the Gentoo site and all was well got to Grub and it wouldn't load the kernel.
> Of course, my boss wanted 2k on it so we could use it as a FedEx station and
> that blew my chance of working any more on it. But has anyone tried this
> beast? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Things I like about Gentoo:
a) Excellent documentation
b) Boot time and system performance is noticeably faster than other
distros on similar hardware.
c) Multiple optimized kernels to choose on initial install.
d) Emerge :-)

Things I don't like:
a) Still in it's infancy; I have encountered multiple minor bugs (I
guess you could say this about any distro).
b) Time to install -- to emerge a new system on a slower Pentium 400
with 64 MB of RAM, it took overnight (well, I fell asleep, but it took
at least 6 hours). Note: the installation has precompiled binaries to
choose from vs. compiling/emerging, but that defeats the performance
increase by compiling everything specific to your architecture.
c) Somewhat non-conventional run level configuration. No traditional "S"
or "K" scripts for startup and shutdown.

All in all though, I have been very impressed with Gentoo so far. But
being a huge Debian fan, I don't see myself changing distros anytime
soon.

--
Matt Miller
Systems Administrator