Re: [SLUG] Questions regarding setting up a new web-site

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 12:56:28 EDT

On Sunday 28 July 2002 12:20, Ranjan Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to set up a new web-site http://www.thelinuxusers.net as
> a project to learn php/apache and some netwrking.
> Can i my put homepage to recognize "IE" and display a message
> that this web-site does not support IE and you should have
> betscape/mozilla to view this.Or will i be violating some law
> somewhere. Right i even don't have an idea what to put but i am just
> sick of websites proclaming to be only "IE".
>
> i would be very much obliged if i can get some ideas on what to put
> on that website(linux related). Although i feel there are already
> everything for linus users(The only reason to put it is to learn php)
> but if there is anything that is missing which you have noticed i
> would really aprecite if you can give me some feedback on that.
>
> Thanks & Brgds
> ranjan

I think that being bigger than "those IE only sites" is a statrement in
itself. Why not promote the HTTP standard? IE is not 100% standard, so
why not say "This webpage is best viewed by a 100% HTTP 4.0 compatible
browser".

Now IE users can wonder on some things why it looks odd. They can query
MS about why IE is not 100% standard. What do you think?

As far as the law goes it is not an issue to be compatible with Anyone.

--
Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.