Re: [SLUG] Questions regarding setting up a new web-site

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 14:08:44 EDT

$browser_type = getenv('HTTP_USER_AGENT');

this will get you started on determine the browser type.

if you want more info, use the get_browser() function.

As for contents on the web site, I feel that command line interface
(CLI) is an area that has not be covered much. Most newbie sites deal with
GUI to accomplish system administrator jobs such as the heavy emphasis on
Webmin. These sites show screen shots of what to click, but do not show
you the command line equivalent.

Don't get me wrong! Webmin is a great utiltity. However, I am all for
freedom. There is more than one way to accomplish those tasks even as
simple as creating a user. You do NOT need usermin just to add a user to
your server.

Anyways, perhaps you could focus on this niche. Otherwise your site will
be just like all the others.

My $0.02.

Kai

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Ranjan Sharma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to set up a new web-site http://www.thelinuxusers.net as
> a project to learn php/apache and some netwrking.
> Can i my put homepage to recognize "IE" and display a message
> that this web-site does not support IE and you should have
> betscape/mozilla to view this.Or will i be violating some law somewhere.
> Right i even don't have an idea what to put but i am just sick of
> websites proclaming to be only "IE".
>
> i would be very much obliged if i can get some ideas on what to put
> on that website(linux related). Although i feel there are already everything
> for linus users(The only reason to put it is to learn php) but if there is
> anything that is missing which you have noticed i would really aprecite
> if you can give me some feedback on that.
>
> Thanks & Brgds
> ranjan

- --

Kai Lien

DSA key ID 39BD44C0

Lense Consulting Company
www.lenseco.com

Fortune Cookie of the Day:

Why is it taking so long for her to bring out all the good in you?