Re: [SLUG] Proftpd question

From: Brett Simpson (Simpsonb@hillsboroughcounty.org)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 09:38:02 EDT

Using plain ftp over sftp while insecure has certain advantages.

Anonymous connections, complex ACLs, no need for extra software on your client pc's.... but if your going to have to setup user accounts, and you don't need the complex ACLs, and your clients are flexible about what they load on there pc's.... then openssh is the way to go.

Brett

>>> steve@itcom.net 07/29/02 05:28PM >>>
What you should do is switch to openssh. Telnet, ftp and mail all send
their login's in clear text for anyone to read. ssh is a secure
replacement which is much easier and faster to use than telnet and ftp,
in most cases. Only if you select an odd bunch of files does it become
a pain. But it will be secure!

In six years only one flaw was found in openssh. (A free version vs
plain ssh which is not free anymore.)

To copy a file simply say:
scp myfile.mp3 loginname@server.name:/dir/
or with wildcard:
scp *.mp3 loginname@server.name:/dir/

--
Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.