Re: [SLUG] Will not boot from CD

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 09:18:14 EDT

> Any ideas beyond doing the install with a boot disk?

No, but in the spirit of your flight instructor, let me clarify and you
tell me if I'm accurate:

Bootable Windows CD in drive, cold boot. Result: boots from CD.
Bootable Red Hat CD in drive, cold boot. Result: boots from hard drive.

Have you tried other bootable Linux CDs just to see whether they'll boot
on your laptop? Debian, Mandrake, etc. I'd especially recommend
LNX-BBC[1], since it's designed to be used in dire circumstances.

What OS does the laptop currently use? Perhaps some newer MS OS has an
unfortunate issue with booting Linux install CDs, so sorry, no idea how
that happened? (Anything's possible...)

Ben

[1] About 50MB, md5sum: 2f87c9e823d44c65da95181cd3e77f4e
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/lnx-bbc/lnx-bbc-1.618.iso
http://www.tux.org/pub/distributions/tinylinux/lnx-bbc/lnx-bbc-1.618.iso
http://xcssa.org/files/lnx-bbc-1.618.iso
http://images.mooseriver.com/lnx-bbc-1.618.iso