RE: [SLUG] Browsing Windows from Linux - more

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 10:08:49 EDT

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 08:52, Clay, John wrote:

> My win box can browse my samba box but I have no idea of how do make samba
> browse win. Can anyone send me a copy of an smb.conf file that will enable a
> samba box to browse a windows network?

The protocol used by SAMBA and Microsoft Networking is called SMB -
Server Message Block. Older versions of SMB were hosted over NetBIOS
connections, including NetBIOS over IP (UDP 137/138 and TCP 139). Newer
versions of SMB are hosted natively over TCP 445.

The Common Internet Filesystem (CIFS) is Microsoft's attempt at
simplifying the SMB protocol enough for widespread Internet acceptance.
The easiest way to understand CIFS is to consider it a subset of SMB.

By "browse", I suppose you are referring to a GUI window whereby icons
are displayed that represent the neighbor SMB nodes. There are DOZENS of
these "Network Neighborhood" browsers in the OpenSource community now:

Nautilus (type "smb:" in your nautilus window, or
          smb://user:password@servername/sharename/ to map a share)
        Recent versions of Nautilus with the new gnome-vfs
Konquerer (type "lan:/" in your konquerer window)
        KDE 2.2 or later
LinNeighborhood
        http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/
xSMBrowser
        http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chadspen/homepage.html
Gnomba
        http://gnomba.sourceforge.net/
Komba
        http://zeus.fh-brandenburg.de/~schwanz/php/komba.php3

Heck, do a few searches on freshmeat and you'll uncover a dozen more.

I hope this helps.

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> <icblenke@nks.net>
http://ian.blenke.com