Re: [SLUG] Job hunt

From: Ken Billings (ken@coffeehouseltd.com)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 18:43:42 EDT

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 17:16, Prasun Gupta wrote:
> My name is prasun gupta and I am also on the job hunt for a few months, and
> have not had any luck. Nobody seems to be calling for interviews.
> I have my resume online, at the following site. I am a software developer,
> in the C/C++/Java/RDBMS/UNIX/WINDOWS, in brief...
>
> http://www.geocities.com/psgupta9/cover_letter.html
>
> If anybody comes across a opening, please let me know...
>
> --Prasun

*** Quoted from the resume ***

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have four years of industry experience in design , analysis, coding
C/C++, Java, Oracle, RDBMS, SNMP, database programming and network
programming on Unix and Windows platform. Additionally, I have seven
years of college education and working experience in this field I have a
strong conceptual and fundamental background in computer Science, and I
am diligent, flexible, and adept to new applications quickly and easily.

***

I would suggest taking a much closer look at your resume. There are
several spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization errors in
just the first paragraph of your cover letter (3 sentences!). If I was
screening your resume, you probably wouldn't get a call from me,
either. There are so many free or low cost resume assistance services
out there, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of them.
Also, consider finding someone other than geocities to host it.
Multiple popup ad windows don't make you look very professional if a
potential employer looked at your resume on the web.
With the job market in it's current state, just having the needed
experience isn't enough. A well polished resume is pretty much a
requirement.

-Ken