RE: [SLUG] Browsing Windows from Linux Not Quite Working

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 17:51:56 EDT

You do NOT need "Services For Unix" (Microsoft's SFU product), nor any
other form of Unix services installed on your NT/Win2k/XP box for SMB
(SAMBA, etc) filesharing to work. You only need these add-ons if you
want native Unix NFS filesharing to function. NFS is completely
different than SMB (in a number of ways).

If you're having a problem mapping to to the PDC, it's usually a problem
with encryption, which you seem to have enabled. The only time you will
not need "encryption" for SMB connections these days is with an older
WinNT 4.0 box (earlier service packs), a Win98 box without service
packs, or a Win95 box. Anything newer than that needs encryption enabled
(this can be disabled in the registry, however).

Your machine should not need to be part of the Domain to map a share to
the PDC. Membership in a Domain is only required if you're
authenticating connections (against the Domain controllers) to a server
from other client machines.

Are you sure you're using the same username on both sides? Your Unix
name must be the same as an NT username on the PDC, unless you specify
it differently in the connection string.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>