Re: [SLUG] I'm sadden with all the new distros

From: Martin C. Messer (marty@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 16:34:33 EDT

Mike,

It looks at least one person has gotten the 760XL to run under Mandrake
7.2, which I'm sure ships with XFree86-4.x:

http://www.geocities.com/digitallyblunted/Linuxlaptop.html

Setting up X-Windows:

Ok, I know that this laptop has a Trident Cyber 9385 video chip in it as
the IBM website will tell you. However, I think the Trident 9385 driver
that comes with Mandrake 7.2 is a bad driver because I could never get
it to work. This laptop can diplay 800x600 in 16-bit color though if
you follow these steps:

1) Choose "unsupported device" during the X-configuration. It will lead
to another menu where there is a "SVGA" driver. Choose this for your
graphic card driver.

2) For monitor, choose "IBM 9514-B TFT Panel @ 1024x768"

3) Go ahead and test the configuration, it should work fine. If not, use
the generic VGA driver and mess with XF86Config later.

NOTE: When choosing your default window manager, I wouldn't suggest
Gnome or KDE on this laptop. I ran Gnome at first, but it was AWFUL
slow on the 166. Try using IceWM or WindowMaker, these are alot quicker
in my opinion.

[end of X section on page]

Hope this helps!

--
Martin C. Messer   | marty@redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.      | Information Systems & Technologies