Re: [SLUG] How to join the secret Java Society

From: Russell Hires (rhires@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 09:35:08 EDT

Well, one reason that most distros don't distribute Java is because they
can't: it isn't Free software. Sun owns it. They put all sorts of
restrictions on it. Ick! Yet, Linux Magazine thinks that Java is the Savior
of Linux! (Did Linux need a savior?) Apache had to fight tooth and nail to
get Sun to open up Java development just a little bit. They won, but it was
still a fight.

Meanwhile, Zope has a xml to pdf converter, too. But I doubt that it's as
easy set up as what you're doing...

Russell

PS Can't help ya on the Secret Society thing.... :-)
On Monday 05 August 2002 09:03 am, you wrote:
> I know there must be a secret Java Society because there is a lot of
> hidden or missing information about setting up and using Java. I mean
> most distro don't even install it as default and if you elect to install
> it after wards it's not easy to find out how to install it. Install the
> package files don't do much.
>
> I'm trying to us a java program called FOP from the Apache group,
> converts xml to pdf. So first I had to install Java. I went to Suns page
> download and installed the package per the instructions on their page.
>
> I then tried to install FOP and from what I can figure out I need to
> build it with a fop.sh file. I run the fop.sh file and get the Error:
> JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly. I said to my self. Self that must
> have to be defined to the environment but where is JAVA_HOME? I beat it
> tells me in the readme file that comes with FOP. Wrong, heck it don't
> even tell you how to build the thing. Time for Google. Ok I found what I
> believe is the java home so I do. JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_01 and
> try again. Still get the error. I bet it's not found because is not
> exported. OK I'll just export it and try again. This time I get a new
> error. Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/apache/fop/apps/Fop.
>
> OK so now it must be time to sacrifice to the JAVA God. But what?
>
> What am I missing here? Is Java really that hard to get running? What
> happened to a install readme file that explains what needs to be done?
> I would really like to get the FOP thing working. But I can't spend the
> rest of my life trying to guess what needs done.
>
> Can someone for the Society please help? Where in the directory tree
> should you install java things like FOP xalan-j_2_4_D1 xerces-2_0_2
> I couldn't find any info on that. I'm guessing they need to be in the
> path somewhere in order to be found.
>
> Thanks
> Mike M.

- --