[SLUG] How to join the secret Java Society

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 09:03:05 EDT

I know there must be a secret Java Society because there is a lot of
hidden or missing information about setting up and using Java. I mean
most distro don't even install it as default and if you elect to install
it after wards it's not easy to find out how to install it. Install the
package files don't do much.

I'm trying to us a java program called FOP from the Apache group,
converts xml to pdf. So first I had to install Java. I went to Suns page
download and installed the package per the instructions on their page.

I then tried to install FOP and from what I can figure out I need to
build it with a fop.sh file. I run the fop.sh file and get the Error:
JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly. I said to my self. Self that must
have to be defined to the environment but where is JAVA_HOME? I beat it
tells me in the readme file that comes with FOP. Wrong, heck it don't
even tell you how to build the thing. Time for Google. Ok I found what I
believe is the java home so I do. JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0_01 and
try again. Still get the error. I bet it's not found because is not
exported. OK I'll just export it and try again. This time I get a new
error. Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/fop/apps/Fop.

OK so now it must be time to sacrifice to the JAVA God. But what?

What am I missing here? Is Java really that hard to get running? What
happened to a install readme file that explains what needs to be done?
I would really like to get the FOP thing working. But I can't spend the
rest of my life trying to guess what needs done.

Can someone for the Society please help? Where in the directory tree
should you install java things like FOP xalan-j_2_4_D1 xerces-2_0_2
I couldn't find any info on that. I'm guessing they need to be in the
path somewhere in order to be found.

Thanks
Mike M.