Re: [SLUG] USB and Gentoo

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 09:16:43 EDT

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 20:03, warlord@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Anyone using Gentoo and a USB mouse? If so what needs to be compiled in the
> kernel to support it in X? Also what in XF86Config do I need to change for USB
> support?
>
> Thanks..

You will need to compile in UHCI or OHCI support (compiling both will
cover most usb controllers) under the USB Support category. You will
also want to compile full HID (Human Interface Device) support.
Typically the USB mouse character device will be listed under
/dev/input/mice with major 13 and minor 63.

$ ls -l /dev/input/mice
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 13, 63 Nov 8 2001 /dev/input/mice

If after compiling in USB support and loading the new kernel, you still
don't have a character device in /dev with major 13 and minor 63, you
can manually create the character device (as a superuser):

$ mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63

Make sure the file is group readable. To test the existing or created
character device, you can type:

$ cat /dev/input/mouse

Moving your usb mouse around and pressing the mouse keys should elicit
random character output.

Add (or change) the following lines in XF86Config-4:

        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"