Re: [SLUG] USB and Gentoo

From: warlord@tampabay.rr.com
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 23:58:48 EDT

> On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 20:03, warlord@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> You will need to compile in UHCI or OHCI support (compiling both will
> cover most usb controllers) under the USB Support category. You will
> also want to compile full HID (Human Interface Device) support.
> Typically the USB mouse character device will be listed under
> /dev/input/mice with major 13 and minor 63.

I have all of that compiled in the kernel. Here's what I have compiled:

Under General setup:
[*] Support for hot-pluggable devices

Under Input core support:
<M> Input core support
<M> Mouse support

Under USB support:
<M> Support for USB
[*] Preliminary USB device filesystem
<M> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
<M> UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support
<M> UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) support
<M> OHCI (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi, SiS, ALi, ...) support
<M> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
[*] HID input layer support

> $ ls -l /dev/input/mice
> crw-r--r-- 1 root root 13, 63 Nov 8 2001 /dev/input/mice
>
> If after compiling in USB support and loading the new kernel, you still
> don't have a character device in /dev with major 13 and minor 63, you
> can manually create the character device (as a superuser):
>
> $ mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63

This will not work, I get a command not found error. Do I need to emerge mknod
to have access to it?

This is where I with Linux was alittle more friendly, setting up peripherials
and such.

Hope I can get this little problem cleared so I can get X up and running.

Thanks for the help!

-J