Re: [SLUG] USB and Gentoo

From: Matt Miller (mmiller1@mptotalcare.com)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 09:29:50 EDT

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 19:58, warlord@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Under General setup:
> [*] Support for hot-pluggable devices
>
> Under Input core support:
> <M> Input core support
> <M> Mouse support
>
> Under USB support:
> <M> Support for USB
> [*] Preliminary USB device filesystem
> <M> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
> <M> UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support
> <M> UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) support
> <M> OHCI (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi, SiS, ALi, ...) support
> <M> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support
> [*] HID input layer support

Check dmesg after boot and verify that the usb controller is indeed
being recognized.

$ dmesg | more

Run lsmod after boot to verify that the kernel modules are being loaded
correctly.

$ lsmod

> > $ mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63
> >

> This will not work, I get a command not found error. Do I need to emerge mknod
> to have access to it?

IIRC, mknod is part of the standard file utilities and MAY be under
/sbin or /usr/sbin. Check you $PATH variable.

$ echo $PATH
$ ls /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin | grep mk

If you still can't find mknod, try:

$ emerge fileutils

If all else fails, mknod is part of the GNU fileutils package:
http://www.gnu.org/software/fileutils/

You could always check the gentoo forums which are fully searchable. A
search for usb and mouse elicits quite a few results (select "search for
all terms"):
http://forums.gentoo.org/search.php?

--
Matt Miller