Re: [SLUG] How to join the secret Java Society

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan@iotcorp.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 05:46:50 EDT

> What am I missing here? Is Java really that hard to get running? What
> happened to a install readme file that explains what needs to be done?
> I would really like to get the FOP thing working. But I can't spend the
> rest of my life trying to guess what needs done.
>
> Can someone for the Society please help? Where in the directory tree
> should you install java things like FOP xalan-j_2_4_D1 xerces-2_0_2
> I couldn't find any info on that. I'm guessing they need to be in the
> path somewhere in order to be found.
>
> Thanks
> Mike M.

Yes, getting JAVA set-up is a pain. First thing: check to make sure
that the "java" binary that you are using is the one that you just
installed. Most distros do have some sort of java installed (maybe as
part of the browser?). Type 'which java' and 'java -version' (only one
dash), to make sure that when you type 'java', you are not running an
old 1.1.8 somewhere on your harddrive.

--ronan