Re: [SLUG] Help

From: btt@nethouse.com
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 07:50:32 EDT

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 03:51:43AM -0400, Bill wrote:
> On Thursday 08 August 2002 16:10, you wrote:
> > I need help with my apache installation. When I use the command apachectl
> > status of fullstatus I get this response;
> >
> > timothy@webbox:~> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl status
> >
> > Not Found
> >
> > The requested URL /server-status was not found on this server.
> > Apache/1.3.26 Server at www.sju.us Port 80
> >
> > The three (3) lines above the line tell me that my machine does not exist
> > on my machine. (Great)
> >
> > The line of text below the line tells me that I have an Apache/1.3.26
> > server running at www.sju.us Port 80.
> >
> > What did I do/not do wrong and how do I fix it?
> >
> > All help is appreciated.

In your case, it appears that the <Location> section for the
mod_status handler is either missing or commented out. First, make
sure that mod_status is installed and enabled (either with
LoadModule/ActivateModule if it is a shared module, or just AddModule
if it is not.). The module is bundled with Apache. I don't remember if
it is compiled by default or not.

> > Joe
>
> Well, I thought I would run the command and see if my output parralleled
> yours. I think we're both in trouble. :-(
> ----------------
> [root@organic-earth /]# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl status
>
> Forbidden
>
> You don't have permission to access /server-status on this server.
>
> _Since when_ does _root_ not have permission to access /server-status ? And
> if root doesn't, who does?

the apachectl status/fullstatus command fires up a browser (lynx, the
text-based browser) and directs it to a special URL on the server. For
it to work, apache has to 1. be set up to respond to the URL and
2. allow the requester to access the URL.

For #1 to work, the mod_status has to be installed and working, and
something like the following shoud be in either the main section of
httpd.conf or within a <VirtualHost>:

<Location /server-status>
    SetHandler server-status
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from .yourdomain.com
</Location>

You can change the /server-status part in the Location to whatever
you want... the key to this whole thing is the SetHandler
server-status directive. The stuff following SetHandler is for access
control.

For #2 to work, the access controls have to be set to allow requests
either from all (Allow from all) or from a certain domain (Allow from
...).

Good Luck