Re: [SLUG] RE: rpm -rebuild foo.src.rpm command

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 21:51:03 EDT

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> > Actually there is only one with the -hpoj.so.1, but there are two others
> > that have hp.so and hp.so.1. Maybe that's the problem its looking for

> symlinks? It is normal for one library to have symlinks to make it
> accessable in a more general fashion. For Example:
> libpgm.so.9.7 is a specific version of libpgm
> libpgm.so.9 is a symlink to 9.7, and allows programs to specify that

In rpm since v. 3.0.4 versioned .so named have been supported.

There is a constellation of sub-build script 'finders' with
differing awareness of differentiation of similarly named
components,:

bash-2.05a$ rpm -ql rpm-build | grep find
/usr/lib/rpm/find-lang.sh
/usr/lib/rpm/find-prov.pl
/usr/lib/rpm/find-provides
/usr/lib/rpm/find-provides.perl
/usr/lib/rpm/find-req.pl
/usr/lib/rpm/find-requires
/usr/lib/rpm/find-requires.perl

The /usr/lib/rpm/find-requires is in play here; these are able
to distinguish library headers -- the code is straightforward
shell scripting, and its maintainer, Jeff Johnson,
jbj@redhat.com is quite approachable.

The globbing expansion, with two "*" within the same
directory path sub-section, is something I have never seen
used before, and shell globbing rules here are unclear to me
-- is it intended to be 'greedy' as in the perl default, or
'sparse' (for want of a better term?) I do not know that
/bin/sh can parse this in a defined fashion, and would
enquire:

        What is the source archive and package name of the
.spec file in question, so I might examine it?

-- Russ herrold