Re: [SLUG] Sendmails claim of 75%

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 21:56:16 EDT

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 11:35:57AM -0400, mfr wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Last night at the meeting, Three of us were talking about mailers, postfix,
> sendmail and qmail, exim.
> Someone stated that sendmail accounted for 72% of the smtp, a fact I knew
> was incorrect, as I was pretty sure it was in the forty percent range.
>
> I just checked, out of curiosity.
>
> It seems sendmail.net are still claiming 75% which was from Dan Bernsteins
> 1997 survey.
> They seem to have conveniently ignored his other surveys as they fallen
> down to 42% as of September/October 2001.
>
> No-one else has published actual surveys, and how they did them, that I am
> aware of.
> The "big account' names generally use qmail e.g.

That was probably me making that statement. I was purely guessing, so I
could easily be wrong. I was primarily talking about end users who
install Linux, and I suspect in that arena, it's more than 42%. Probably
depends on what's the default config on most distros. For Red Hat, it's
sendmail out of the box, unless you pick something else, and Red Hat is
the largest distro hereabouts.

As for ISPs and such, I dunno. Qmail is known to be a solid,
well-engineered and secure product. Unfortunately, many people are
repelled by Dan Bernstein's attitude toward open sourcing his source
code. And I don't know of a single distro that provides qmail on their
CDs.

<snip>

> September/October 2001 of 1 million random IP's gave the following results
> :-
>
> sendmail 42%
> qmail 17%
> Exchange/IIs - 18.4%
> Postfix 1.5%
> Exim 1.5%

Interesting point. This measures only those who advertise port 25 or the
like at their IP. I don't, and I wonder how many others don't as well.

Paul