Re: [SLUG] Here's a crazy idea...

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 23:40:48 EDT

> You have to have a LOT of customers to run an ISP in the black. It's
> not the equipment that necessarily costs - you can build a decent
> ISP-in-a-box with a couple of Linux PCs and a rackmount modem bank
> plus whatever access equipment you need which you can probably get
> off ebay cheap nowadays - it's the internet access.

Unless, you happen to know someone who has all this, in Los Angeles
granted but with national coverage. With enough qty I bet I can get a
decent deal. We'd just be another sub ISP. Most ISP are under other
ISP's.

This is one I built many years ago. Lot's of changes and it's not very
big but operational. Dialup makes no diff as they all (almost) use
UUNET pops anyhow. Broadband is also available. It's in some nice NOC
(Network Operations Center).

My e-mail is actually one I've kept as I did the support for a few
years, a number of years ago.

If enough are interested I can check what kind of pricing we can get.
56K, DSL who knows maybe RR too as it's being resold. Twenty five
accounts could be a good enough.

This would in fact either be a colocate or space rent on their servers.
I don't see why we would do anything but share space on a server. But
we could use our own name.

Let me know...

--
Steve

_____________________________________________________________ HTML in e-mail is not safe. It let's spammers know to spam you, and sets you up for online attack through IE 4.5 and above. Using HTML in e-mail promotes it as safe to the uninitiated.