Re: [SLUG] back to synching samba with uix passwords

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 09:22:44 EDT

On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 23:29, patrick grantham wrote:
> I am not sure what I did some time ago. New unix users are unable to login
> in the the NT domain managed by the samba server. Assuming it's a password
> sync, how do I tell samb to use the unix passwords? Or at the very least
> sync the samba password file with the unix password file. Users are able to
> telnet and FTP, but not connect to the domain. Accounts that were created at
> the time the box was built are able to login normally, just not new accounts.
> Any ideas?

Two solutions:

1. Make your samba authenticate against the NT domain.
2. Run "smbpasswd" for each and every user.

There is no way to "convert" a Unix password file to an NT SAM user, or
vica versa. Both passwords are stored as one-way hashes - the only way
to find the passwords now is to "crack" them by running through every
possible password and finding a string that hashes to the same hashed
value.

Hope this helps.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net>