Re: [SLUG] Wireless networking RH 7.3

From: robin (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 21:31:58 EDT

> It is a snake's nest mix of proprietary and Open variants; the
> exact models are not marked on the boxes, and the state of
> sireless networking is like NIC drivers 6 years ago -- a real
> mess.

Yep. You can buy 2 Linksys PCMCIA wireless cards, same box, same model
number, but when you take them out they are visibly different -- and one
will work with the wavelan_cs module in Mandrake 8.2 and the other won't.

Been there, done that, got disgusted.

So far the el cheapo SMC wireless PCMCIA cards I've tried all have the
prism chipset, and all have worked in Linux. I even got one of them to
work in Windows XP, something I have not been able to do with the
Linksys cards.

- Robin