Re: [SLUG] Wireless networking RH 7.3

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 21:54:15 EDT

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, robin wrote:

> So far the el cheapo SMC wireless PCMCIA cards I've tried all have the
> prism chipset, and all have worked in Linux. I even got one of them to
> work in Windows XP, something I have not been able to do with the
> Linksys cards.

dunno about legacy proprietary op sys's -- that hardware would
not work at the school _REQUIRED_ XP Pro I had to buy a child
returning to college a couple weeks ago.

The SMC PCI carrier will NOT work with card revision A2, but
will with B1 in Linux -- the trap there is that the A series
is PCI-2 3.3v capable, and the earlier cards choked somehow --
identical boxes in retail.

iccckkk

OT fun picture:
   http://www.herrold.com/pix/snapshot15.png
   and
   http://www.herrold.com/pix/snapshot16.png

planning a Wardriving/GPS/802.11b insecurity presettation for
the local LUG ...

study 16 carefully ... there is an Easter Egg

-- Russ