Re: [SLUG] New Linux Users Group Forming

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 22:21:47 EDT

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 09:38:26PM -0400, David Meyer wrote:

> SLUG Members,
>
> Today I was corrected for posting a job I found on this list. I did so
> because I know there are several on this list who are without work, and
> could benefit by this. This job was not with my company, nor was it in any
> way a benefit to me.
>
> This has lead to my decision to form a Brandon Linux Users Group, not
> associated with the SLUG group. Frankly, there are too many rules on this
> list. I posted a job for anyone who needs it, and was told not to. When
> there is a need, I don't see a problem with that. If I made a bad choice,
> then I apologize to the list.
>
> Those interested in forming a Brandon LUG, please contact me offline.

Just to clarify, I was the one who emailed Dave privately and told him
not to post job offers to the list. I directed him to the SLUG Jobs
page, which I put up a while back to handle this kind of traffic.

I've repeatedly said that new LUGs in the area are welcome, and if any
SLUG members wish to join (or start) a LUG closer to home (or with fewer
rules), I'm all for it. If SLUG members want to join Brandon LUG or
Brandon LUG people want join SLUG, or have "dual" membership, so much
the better. There's plenty of room for everyone.

I'd like to thank Dave for his efforts on behalf of SLUG. I also wish
him well. He is welcome to any help in starting his LUG that we/I can
reasonably provide.

Paul M. Foster
President
Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG)